Build up C/C++ environment on eclipse using CDT + cygwin

More and more people want to use open source IDE instead of Visual Studio to writing C/C++ because it’s clean and free. Here, we introduce eclipse to writing C/C++ program. Eclipse is an excellent IDE for Java programming. Due to its open source platform, we may use it for C/C++ programming as well. CDT(C/C++ Development Tool) is a plugin that allows eclipse to support C/C++. Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows and it allows you to use gcc/g++ compiler. There’re just several steps to build up your own eclipse. Now, let’s go.

Step 1:
Download Cygwin setup here: http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
Install it according to the following guide:

Recommend to choose a short path and a simple name of the root directory

Choose a location to download the installation file(not necessary be a subfolder of root directory)

Choose a mirror site you like. You may view the mirror site list here: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

Expand Devel and select these components (by clicking skip label):
gcc-core: C compiler
gcc-g++: C++ compiler
gdb: The GNU Debugger
make: The GNU version of the make utility
Note: When you choose these components, Cygwin will automatically choose some other dependence for you. Just keep them.

Then it will download these packages and install them. When it completes, click Finish.

Step 2:
Add bin folder in the root directory of Cygwin to the environment variables named path. Either user variable or system variable is fine. In the above example, you should use E:\cygwin\bin.

Step 3:
If you download Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, you may skip Step 3 and directly use it.
Download CDT here: http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php
Make sure you select the suitable version for your eclipse.
Installing CDT may differ from its version. Here we use eclipse 3.4.2+CDT 5.0.2.
Unzip CDT zip file into a folder and fire up eclipse.
Click Help>Software Updates and choose Available Software.
Click Add site>Local and select the location of the CDT folder.

You will see the CDT is added to the Available Software list. Choose it and click Install.

Wait until it completes installation and enjoy it after restarting eclipse.

This entry was posted in Programming Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Build up C/C++ environment on eclipse using CDT + cygwin

1. Bert says:

In Step 2 what you have to do is to go to control panel-> system ->advance->environment variable

and add a variable named ‘path’ and set E:\cygwin\bin (for example) to its value

2. ANNET says:

thanks

3. Pingback: Basic Knowledge of Cygwin « Genius-Field

4. Ogbzytcw says:

i think your’s board nice dy,

5. Bffzgqhm says:

gorgeous your’s blog cool du,

6. Karl Dou says:

This an Good post, I will be sure to bookmark this post in my Reddit account. Have a great day.

7. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Many thanks

8. Gregg Siska says:

Good to be going to, it has been weeks a newlyweds of. Well one more write-up that could function out just fine. I need something like it something I am targeting on, and mine has the same matter as yours. I am relieved which I located it, great share.

9. Kory Dechick says:

I enjoy to use excellent webmaster instruments, they assist me to know my serp position on search engines.

10. gbogbo says:

U’r the MAN!! i have been trying to install this software for 3 day now….and u explained it perfectly!

Well Done Sir!

11. kumar says:

can we copy the cygwin components into another computer

12. vinu says:

i was going through all above and said and everything was going well.
    i was using eclipse for java earlier…but as i added path for cdt as f:/cygwin/bin
    and meanwhile opened eclipse.exe it stopped opening rather sayiing JRE is not found in bla bla directory..but u know JDK JRE all are there….m not getting what happened..
    is java and c++ can nt be worked out simultaneouly … give me solution buddy

• Icyfish says:

They can be used simultaneously. You need to append Cygwin to the PATH instead of overwrite it. After doing that, open a terminal and type java to see whether the system can find java binary.

• Kacy says:

Hapankaali on hyvää, varsinkin valaisipulohapankkali. Sopii hyvin ruisleivän päälle avocadon (ja tomaatin) kanssa.Ruokapöytänne näyttää ihan minun ruokapöydältäni (joka on isompi, ja siten myös kasoja useampia)…

• Paul, i agree with most of what you say, however other authors have addressed Arras, take BGE series for one deals with many unknown parts of the battle , but in my view Cheerfull sacrifice is the only, best and unsurpassable account.

• http://www./ says:

Thanks, John! I’m seriously considering switching, but I just don’t know yet. I’ll be waiting to see how things shake out, and for my contract to expire, and probably for the next version of the iPhone. No rush for me. But I’m mostly just really glad I now have a choice.-systemsboy

• http://www./ says:

Ich muss mich täglich immer in meine hohen Schuhe zwingen, damit meine Beine etwas schlanker aussehen $: Aber deine Beine sind ein Traaaaum & ich liebe deine momentane Bräune!! Wieso bist du nur so perfekt :b

• Non penso tu abbia visto le prove dove hanno votato le giurie… quelle sul sito dell’EBU sono quelle delle 15:00 e molti cantanti erano vestiti “casual”… ci hai fatto caso?!

• That’s a mold-breaker. Great thinking!

13. “Build up C/C++ environment on eclipse using CDT + cygwin | Genius-Field” was a superb posting, can’t wait to look over
    alot more of ur blog posts. Time to waste numerous time
    on the internet lolz. Thank you ,Bryan

14. Please note, I am not a lawyer, this is not a legal advice, it’s
    my individual belief, nevertheless for proper lawful
    guidance, please visit gluckstein online portal straight away.
    There should be a correlation between the fault and damage.
    Finding the best lawyer will require time, effort, and research on your part.

15. فروش آپارتمان says:

We would like to thank you just as before for the gorgeous suggestions you offered Janet when preparing her post-graduate research as well as, most importantly, pertaining to providing each with the tips in a blog post. Provided that we had been aware of your website a year ago, we’d have been saved the unnecessary measures we were having to take. Thank you quite much.

16. Marcy says:

I’m more than happy to discover this great site.
    I need to to thankk you for your time just for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely savored every bit of it and I have
    you book-marked to chrck out new information on your website.

17. Mehr Infos says:

Doch wieder übernahm sie die Initiative und führte meine Hände weiter, bis sie auf swingers couples dem Busen lagen.

18. You could definitely see yur enthusiasm wiothin the article
    you write. The world hopes ffor even more passionate writers
    like you who are not afraid to say how thy believe.
    At all times go after your heart.

19. 樓宇加按 says:

HTML compressor does not require dependencies.

20. lasertest says:

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this brilliant blog!

I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking
    and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to fresh updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

21. Harveylorgo says:

BINARyoPTOnssVerge.CoM

22. webpage says:

Thiis is a consideration which might bring about the succwss
    of your business. The condition affects between two and three per cent of the UK population and may have an impact on just how people think and feel about themselves, as well as how to handle daay
    by day life. Indeed, a classic ibspired property iss both remarkable
    and unique during these modern years.

23. I really like studying and I believe this website got some genuinely utilitarian stuff on it!

24. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the
    layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what
    youve got to say. But maybe you could a little
    more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two
    images. Maybe you could space it out better?

25. Activista cívico, como já é do domínio público, foi condenado ao abrigo daquele
    medieval diploma a três anos de deportação
    por, entre outras coisas, ter consigo uns papéis que
    as autoridades consideraram ser de índole subversivo.

26. Posto isto, repetindo, evite dietas radicais.

27. web Page says:

For instance, you are ale to mix a truly saturnine dim rest a cylinder of inglorious painting
    blusher of their coat box. In the seventh episode,
    ‘The Backbone of Night’, Sagawn teaches students in a very classroom about mythologies of stars as well as their
    true nature reveled by mmodern science. You can request feom the aartist to switch their clothes sso they match iin vogue
    and color iii) Combining photos – Let’s say you
    would like to possess a face done.

28. webpage says:

For instance, you can mix a totally saturnine dim rest a cyliknder of
    inglorious painting blusher in their coat box. Thee next step would be
    to arrrange these suggestions into verse form and rhyming appropriate words.
    If you find vvid challenge, then contemplate again if you
    really should have canvws prints or not.

29. Friv 8 says:

Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
    I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss
    and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I
    know my subscribers would value your work. If
    you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

30. Elizbeth says:

Utility means of this loan turns into easiest quickest and extremely seⅽured method when yоu select the online mode.

31. Amazing! Its truly amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea concerning from this article.

32. Rolland says:

With havin so much content and articles do you
    ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
    My site has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks
    like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement.

Do you know any techniques to help reduce content from being ripped off?
    I’d certainly appreciate it.

33. website says:

Yoou want to take car with all the ones that are advertised as free as these are acknowledged to put malware and viruses onn your computer if you try too install them.
    In the seventh episode,’The Backbone oof Night’, Sagan teaches students inside a classroom about
    mythologies of stars annd their true nature reveled by
    moder science. If you find vid challenge, then think about again if
    you really should have canvas prints or not.

34. For instance, yoou are able to mix a really saturnine dim
    res a cylinder oof inglorious painting blusher of their coat box.

The Cambrian explosion and a speculation of life in Jupiter’s
    atmosphere are some of the topics discussed on this episode.
    Laughter yields magical leads to aiding faster cure and in keeping people in good health.